Online engagement by Internet users is deepening, according to a new report on the online landscape released by The Nielsen Company. This increased engagement is in part a result of a shift toward video content and social networking as popular online subcategories.
Highlights Of The Report Include:
* The number of American users frequenting online video destinations has climbed 339 percent since 2003.
* Time spent on video sites has shot up almost 2,000 percent over the same period.
* In the last year alone, unique viewers of online video grew 10 percent, the number of streams grew 41 percent, the streams per user grew 27 percent and the total minutes engaged with online video grew 71 percent.
* There are 87 percent more online social media users now than in 2003, with 883 percent more time devoted to those sites.
* In the last year alone, time spent on social networking sites has surged 73 percent.
* In February, social network usage exceeded Web-based e-mail usage for the first time.
Be sure to read the full report - it's got lots of good graphs and visuals as well as great data.